Are you considering adding a swimming pool to your home? Is it to entertain your guests, to take late night swims, or in an effort to add value to your home?
The question is: will adding a pool add value to my home? No. But, in some cases, yes.
Generally speaking, adding a pool to your home is not the best way to add value. The best way to do that is to make improvements to your actual house. For instance, renovating the kitchen or bathrooms.
See our recent blog post ‘6 Updates That Add Value To Your Home’
However, a swimming pool can add value to your home…in some cases:
- If you live in a warm climate, such as Florida.
- If you live in a higher-end neighborhood and most of your neighbors have pools. In fact, not having a pool might make your home harder to sell.
- If your yard is big enough to accommodate a pool AND still have some yard left over for play or gardening.
But still, that is no guarantee that you will get a return on investment from adding the swimming pool. At most, your home’s value might increase by 7% if all circumstances are right when it’s time to sell your home, including the one’s mentioned above and these:
- Is the style of the pool what the buyer is looking for?
- Does it fit the neighborhood?
- What’s the condition of the pool? Is it well-maintained?
- Age of the pool.
Cost to Build a Swimming Pool
On average, the cost to install, equip and fill a 600 square foot concrete swimming pool starts at $30,000. STARTS at. That’s the price of a car! Then, if you want to add in features like lighting, waterfalls, and fences (which most states require), you are easily approaching $100,000 or more.
Don’t forget, the pool needs filtration and maintenance, which is also an added expense.
This intention of this article was not to talk you out of adding a pool to your home, but merely to provide you with information so that you can decide if it is a good investment!
Are you thinking of buying or selling a home, or have a friend or family member who is? Contact The Pivec Group today by calling 443-692-8800 or visiting our website! We look forward to hearing from you and helping you find YOUR dream home!